Friday, May 30, 2008

Murderous Medea.

Medea opens this week. On Wednesday.
I have learned some new things with this first little attempt at Greek Theatre.

I have learned, for example, that it is not easy to deliver lines like, "She will be tripping in the snare and falling into the trap of destiny and wretched death: it's closing and she won't get free"
Lots of 25 cent words in there, as Ms. Hampton would say.




I also learned some about masks, especially Greek ones. Had a hard time to be honest. I mean, I think the picture says it all but really, Peter Hall wrote a pretty interesting book called, "Exposed by the Mask". He said that 'the Greek mask was enigmatic, uncertain representing human confusion and, 'above all the mask is the tool of the imagination. A metaphor. An audience can see on it infinite emotions.'

Also, by working on this project with this tiny acting company I have reaffirmed the notion that it is not easy.. being in love with a dying art form. Theatre needs you to watch it. There is mind blowing theatre out there and there could be more of it, if people went to watch it. And while I cant promise that this will be the best theatre ever produced, I still think people should watch theatre. If you want to start this week by watching Medea, sounds good to me. Heck!, I'll be there.

And while you are at it this week, go to Janelle's art show in Provo. Be well rounded, go ahead.

3 comments:

Ems said...

I'll be there!

Abby Rose said...

It sounds amazing Emily!!! I am so proud of you.

Rod in Indy said...

Wish I could see this one, too! Best of luck, Emily!! Love, Papa