Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Elevator Love Letter

Laundry Days.. there is something about the coin operated machines. I don't have classes in the morning anymore so I have been doing things like laundry at times like 10:00am on days like Tuesdays..

Lately on laundry days I have been playing this little game. Our buildings' laundry room is on the 4th floor. There are stairs and there is also an elevator. That elevator is always mocking me.. whenever I take it I feel lazy but I don't love hauling all my dirty clothing up the stairs.. One day,I just decided that the elevator needed to be put in his place. This is how the game works:

I walk up and push the button for the elevator..


When the door opens.. I reach in and push 4 (sometimes I plop by basket down in there too)


Then, I race as fast as i can around the corner and to the stairs..


And I run up the stairs as fast as i can all the way to the 4th floor!!!
It's a race between me and that cocky elevator!!

The first time I felt like I ran so fast I got there just as the elevator door was sliding open.. I guess we could call that one a tie..
I am happy to report that, lately, I have been winning pretty steadily..

This is probably a waste of energy or electricity or time or something.. but I do not really care.

Another fantastic thing about laundry is that often due to the threat of shrinking or damage, many articles of clothing cannot be dried in the dryer.. so on laundry days our living room becomes a patchwork quilt of our wardrobes.


I must admit that I really like that too.

Something about it reminds me of waking up early Monday mornings in El Salvador and washing every article of clothing I owned by hand and hanging it on a clothes line to dry.. a clothes line.. i used to use one.. like, for my clothes. And clothes pins too, I used to use those to hang up clothes.. on my clothes line. It was perfect.

The elevator game is pretty fun too though.

2 comments:

Brooklyn said...

This is so freakin rad.

Abby Rose said...

hahahah!!! The best part about laying your cloths out on the floor is it makes the apartment smell so fresh and clean.