Thursday, April 10, 2008

what bounces in the brain...

Umm, i cant sleep. it's been a problem this last year. some serious insomnia. these are some of the thoughts that i have lately that wont adhere to melatonin...

a. Artaud. We can not understand anything in isolation. We understand things in relation to what they are not... language is a never ending chain of signification. The "meaning" that a word has is produced by it's difference from other signifiers. Language is a kind of dance around an absence of fixed meaning. So when i type the letters "b-l-u-e" most people will understand in a general way that with those letters I am signifying a color and they can picture, ie understand what it is i am trying to signify, because they know it... but who is to say that when people process the word "blue" in their minds that they all really see the same shade or color that I am envisioning? Also, what is blue? We understand blue, because we understand what it is not.. it is not red, orange, yellow green.. etc...
do people only understand who i am in relation to who i am not?

b. Lakoff and Johnson. The several ways humans experience themselves.
The physical object self -the self as an object: "I have got to get myself moving.."
The locational self -the self as a place: "I was beside myself" or "I'm all over the place today"
The contained self- the self as a container (inner and outer): "I disappointed myself"...

c.

http://www.rockpoplyrics.com/national/slowshow.php

d. Also, Friday Night Lights. I'm most attracted to Tim Riggins but I would like to end up with someone more like Matt Ceracen and either way I want the marriage to resemble Coach Taylor and Tammys'. Not all the same circumstances. I never want to live in Texas, for example, or marry someone who coaches football, but I hope we talk to eachother like they do. Ohhhh, tv on dvd, bless you. you help the long insomniatic nights go by..

3 comments:

Naomi said...

I heart all things FNL.

Ems said...

such intense thoughts for when you're brain is supposed to be resting! but great ones, your head seems like an interesting place to be if up so late in the night.

and I think anyone who wants to get married should have to take a course which would consist of just watching FNL because of the Taylors. they've got it as close to perfection as far as I can tell.

Ben said...

I think the less you think of Lakoff the quicker you'll fall asleep. Although I guess that depends which Lakoff. (Both are linguists.)

You do bring up a good point about personal identification, but I'd say that there are qualities beyond color that are defined by something other than what they're not. Number, for example, isn't just the negation of all other numbers: three isn't just "not one, two, four, etc." It's much more likely that people see something as complex as a personality by comparing its parts to other personality parts, until that personality is archetypal by itself. That's just what I think.

Also you made me look up the National. Very good. In sum, "this post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting". Congratulations. :)