Thursday, January 10, 2008

Life is a mixtape.. or cd.

I've said it once, I'll say it 10,000 times; mix cd's tell my life's story. Finding an old mix that I have made for myself or someone else is always like time traveling. People say that smells are the most efficient in calling back memories, but for me, it's usually songs. That's why the book I am reading is so interesting. It's nice to find out there are other people, like that. In honor of Mr. Sheffield's novel, I decided to share an old mix that I found on the drive home for Christmas. I was laughing my head off in the car as I listened to it. It is embarrassing but it IS, in every single way the fall of 2002. The context inside these songs, and why I put them on this cd, I can remember perfectly. Here we go. And the mix is called,
"I must have made you up in my head."

1. No, Not Now -Hot Hot Heat (told you, embarrassing. I loved this song)

2. All My Life - The Foo Fighters

3. The Old Headboard -Rasputina (what happened to this band? Chicks playing chellos.. so awesome, they were ahead of their time. This song is where the title of the cd comes from)

4. Roulette Dares (the hunt of)- The Mars Volta (still love the title)

5. Lullaby -Pedro the Lion

6. Lady Picture Show -Stone Temple Pilots ("she hides because...")

7. The More You Ignore Me -Morrissey (hahahahaha!)

8. Kate -Ben Folds Five (this was because of someone)

9. Catch- The Cure (still a favorite)

10. Come Pick Me Up -Ryan Adams (it starts)

11. When the Stars Go Blue -Ryan Adams

12. Memories of You -Ryan Adams

13. Harder Now That It's Over - Ryan Adams (Its clear that i made this for myself, because I would never repeat an artist on a mix for anyone else. I couldn't get enough)

14. Sleep the Clocks -Belle and Sebastian

15. The State That I Am In -Belle and Sebastian

16. Like Dylan in the Movies -Belle and Sebastian (twice on one cd!)

17. Hated for Loving- Morrissey (3 times!)

18. You Cant Take Anything With You -VAST

19. Second Bus Home -Casket Lottery (I think this was the title. I totally forgot about this song and I no longer have it anywhere else in my music collection, but it is truly great and perfect for the time)

So there it is. 19 tracks and my life in fall of 2002. I think it is pretty clear what I was really into at that time. Ah, life. It is a mix tape.

1 comment:

g.lock said...

i second that notion.