Sunday, January 31, 2010

she wears a black dress

Gabriel Garcia Lorca wrote a play called Blood Wedding.

and it is actually my current project.
i'm playing the bride.. (sdlkfjadsl!!)

its sort of all consuming.beautiful.challenging.wonderful.scary.poetic.tearful.
and has made me mildly obsessed with several things:

namely:

*Lorca
Poetry

*Andalusia, Spain:
*Flamenco Dance
(this is actually Carlos Saura's Flamenco version of the play)


*And Black Wedding Gowns
(in rural Spain, brides wear black.
a symbol of fidelity until death)

the play opens March 3rd. I'm sure you will hear more from me about it.

5 comments:

mindy said...

Ahhh Spain! Que linda!!

Damian said...

ahem,

I believe that photo is in La Mancha, which is north of Andalusia. I may be wrong though.

check this out:

http://www3.telus.net/OscarNieto/images/jaleo.jpg

Todd Langston said...

I'll have to see if I can make it to this one. I hope I can.

an illdressed foolishwise said...

Damian!!

That Nieto painting is incredible! A friend in Vegas painted a large copy of it and has it hanging in her house! I didn't think of it (or remember it) until now.

thankyou. thank you.

Damian said...

sorry I didn't see that.

the painting is actually by John Singer Sargent. He is most famous for portraits and such (his most famous painting is probably "Madame X") BYU bought one of his paintings a few years back and it is on display in their gallery. right in the main room.