Sunday, June 17, 2007

"Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it? Every, every minute??"


In Our Town when Emily Webb dies, she chooses to go back, just for one day to relive her life and say goodbye. When I got the opportunity to play Emily something like 5 years ago, I got so frustrated with myself when it came to her 'goodbye' monologue at the end. I always just felt like I couldn't quite get there.. I couldn't say or feel it quite right. It wasn't until about 2 weeks ago when I was asked to go back, for just one day, and do the piece again, that I realized why. This time, saying those words.. just felt real. I couldn't help but cry. Youth is interesting, and growing older is even more interesting. When I first fell in love with this play, I feel in love mostly with the love story between Emily and George. I thought I got the message at the end, but now that I am just a little older, now that I have actually had to live through a few things, held on to some things, let go of other things.. and have looked back and realized that I have taken things for granted, I understand the real genius of Wilder's play. I wont forget this night, ever.

7 comments:

bambam said...

emily, is that you onstage? i can't believe i missed it! i miss you! you're the greatest (actress)!

dolly d. said...

Man, you make want to see Our Town, I never have. Hm.

bbond said...

girl.

exactly.

love
b

vantastic said...

cute white dress. girl friend. loves. see you soon.

Rod in Indy said...

Yes, you will always be daddy's little girl! Even when you are all grown up and wise!! ;-) LOVE YOU!!!

heathen said...

I was in this too!

vantastic said...

one more thing...was it Rayanne or Angela who said these lines??